2008年2月8日金曜日

Acing the TOEFL, TOEIC, IELTS

I continue to see ads like these popping up all over the internet:
RAISE YOUR TOEIC SCORE OVERNIGHT
TOEIC SECRETS
BEAT THE TOEIC
CHEAT THE TOEIC TEST
You can substitute TOEFL or IELTS in any of those ads. Indeed, one enterprising (but perhaps not the most ethical) individual has set up virtually identical sites for acing the IELTS, the TOEFL, and the TOEIC. It's really quite amazing how he's an expert on all three tests, all at the same time, and how basically identical strategies and 'secrets' will help a learner on all three different tests.
It's really quite amusing to read all the pages, and note the similarities. For instance,
IELTS:In case you don't already know me, my name is Peter Morrison and I'm the head of a team of standardized test researchers who set out to find and exploit the weaknesses of the IELTS.
TOEIC:In case you don't already know me, my name is Peter Morrison and I'm the head of a team of standardized test researchers who set out to find and exploit the weaknesses of the TOEIC.
TOEFL:In case you don't already know me, my name is Peter Morrison and I'm the head of a team of standardized test researchers who set out to find and exploit the weaknesses of the TOEFL.
I'm sorry, but this does not lend itself to credibility. Especially when you do a little elementary Google searching and find all kinds of other things that Morrison Media has "put together a team of researchers" for. Such as the Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) certificate ...
CNA:In case you don't already know me, my name is Peter Morrison and I'm the head of a team of medical field researchers who set out to find and exploit the weaknesses of the CNA hiring and school process.
and the PRAXIS test
and the USMLE
Unbelievable. This company, and this guy, really get around. But how much do they actually know about any particular subject they are selling test prep secrets to? I suspect very little.
Well, The Linguisthas a different approach. Yes, we'll help you ace the TOEFL, and the TOEIC, and the IELTS, and any other English test out there that you can find.
However, we don't do that by teaching you to "beat the test" or cheat or cram or learn test strategies. In fact, we do it the good old fashioned way of actually teaching you English. What a concept!
It's fast, it's fun, and it's cost-effective to learn English with The Linguist. And it'll help you pass any English test or certification - guaranteed.
But it will also help you to actually learn to speak, read, and write English. Which is what you really want to do in the first place!

0 件のコメント: